BIRTH AND DEATH CERTIFICATES
The Birth certificate is the most important identity document for an individual, which is most useful to proof the date as well as the place of birth. On the other hand, a death certificate is a document issued by the Government to the nearest relative of the deceased, stating the date, fact and cause of death. In both cases (Birth and Death) the process of Registration is done by the Municipality.
Services provided by Birth & Death Department are as follows:
- Issue Birth Registration certificate.
- Issue Death Registration certificate.
- Issue Cremation certificate.
- Modify or Correction different certificates.
- Issue of Extra certificate for Birth, Death and Cremation.
IMPORTANT GENERAL INFORMATION
- Birth or Death certificates can be obtained only if the event of birth or death is registered with the Mathabhanga Municipality.
- Under the existing rules any event of the birth or death is to be compulsorily registered within 1 year of its occurrence.
- Delayed registration beyond one year of occurrence of birth or death can only be done on the basis of orders of Executive / 1st Class Magistrate of the Mathabhanga area.
- Births or deaths occurring in places within the area under Mathabhanga jurisdiction can only be registered by the Habra.
For Birth events occurring in Private Hospitals / Nursing Homes in Mathabhanga
- Birth certificates can be obtained from the concerned office of the Health Officer usually after 6 weeks from the date of birth, subject to the condition that all birth events are reported in prescribed registration format by the private hospitals / nursing homes within 21 days from the date of occurrence to concerned Health Officer as a mandatory requirement.
- Name of child can be inserted at the time of taking birth certificates by the parents or a relative authorised by the parents in writing.
For birth occurring in Govt. Hospitals in Mathabhanga
- Birth certificates can be obtained from the concerned Borough Health Office upto a period of 1 (one) year from the date of birth on production of medical certificate of birth issued by the hospital.
- Name of child can be inserted at the time of taking birth certificate by the parents or a relative authorised by the parents in writing.
For Domiciliary birth events:
- Domiciliary events of birth shall be reported by the Head of family to the concerned Ward Health Unit for registration within a month but not later than 1 year along with production of medical certificate of birth issued by a Medical Practitionar / Midwife / Traditional Birth Attendant. Birth certificate can be obtained on the spot from the Ward Health Unit.
- Birth certificates in respect of domiciliary events not reported within one year can be obtained on delayed registration on the basis of orders of First Class Magistrate of Mathabhanga Municipal area from the Concerned Health Officer [up to 20 years].
- In cases when dead bodies are brought to Crematorium or Burial Ground under Mathabhanga Municipal area for disposal - Death events only in the Mathabhanga Municipal area are registered in the Crematorium or Burial Ground and death certificates are issued from there on the spot.
- In cases when dead bodies, death events of which have taken place in Mathabhanga Municipal area are disposed of in place outside Mathabhanga Municipal area.